Saturday, April 28, 2007

Does the flat world have "passive" job seekers?

Hello Human Resources and Marketing Communications and welcome to my blog. My name is Darren Grant and I work at JWT EC. This blog was launched to start a conversation about recruiting in the flat world. Please share your thoughts and experiences.

As a North American Client Director, I am often asked to create sourcing strategies to find “passive” job seekers. But does the flat world even have “passive” job seekers?

I read the below African Proverb in Thomas Friedman's book "The world is flat" and I thought this is the perfect first entry for our blog.

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning a lion wakes up.
It knows it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death.
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle.
When the sun comes up, you better start running.

In a flat world working harder than the person to your left and to your right is not enough. Imagine that as your headline on your monster or careerbuilder job posting.

No comments: